Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Progress....




Well, I managed to finish a pair of socks and have a single sock off the needles that leaves just two first socks on needles. I wish I could say that those two socks one blue, one variegated; yellow, green, blue, are my only projects on needles but, well.... we know better don't we? I'm waiting on two sets of metal dpn's in the mail, another regia and knit picks. If you looked at the set you probably noticed that using US needle sizes there are two size one and two size two needles, I can state unequivocally that in this particular instance I have to agree with our friends in Canada... metric is just plain better on this one. In fact, the Yarn Harlot just had a post on this very subject the other day. Now, don't get me wrong I'm not going to start quoting temps in Celsius instead of Fahrenheit south of the Great Lakes but yarn is universal, as is knitting and as I stated before the language should be universal so I think I'll expand on that and say the tools we knit with should be universal, also. Which, by the way, has gotten me completely off the subject, which is that I have two new sets of sock needles on the way. One set will be knitting up my brand new Brooks Farm variegated, this yarn is gorgeous soft and sheeny (yes, I made up a word, and yes, I'm ok with it, maybe I didn't make a word up it spellchecked, go figure). It dawned on me, when I was at my favorite yarn store the other day, that I prefer yarns w/sheen to a matte finish yarn. I've been actively knitting for over 10 yrs and I just get it now, go figure. I am willing to bet if I asked some of my knitting friends if this is news to them they'd all laugh at me. The real question I have though is whether I can knit my second sock of the pink/grey variegated on the metal dpns, the first sock was knit on bamboo. It is my belief that my gauge will be different on metal needles, however, this is a sock we are talking about so it's not as if anyone's going to be checking to see if my socks are identical, unlike sleeves or mittens which are definitely a more public medium, so to speak. So, I must ask myself if these socks are not identical can I live with it, and if I can not live with it what would be the big deal of re knitting the first sock on metal needles, I'm not really happy with it anyway, it's more an anklet than a sock and I wanted a sock so I'd be adding inches anyway, better to wait until after I knit the second sock on my new needles than add the length now. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And with that conundrum (look it up) rolling around in my head I will attempt to go to sleep. Later all... CJ Oh and K, with these kind of weighty sock questions on my mind I'm afraid well, your sweater doesn't stand a chance, sorry.

No comments: